|River Raid Invencible|
|Release Dates||1982 (Original)|
Two players alternating (?)
ROM file (hack)
In River Raid, players controlled a series of jets flying over a scrolling "River of No Return", destroying multiple types of targets of various sizes and attack patterns.
River Raid Invencible is a hack of River Raid. Aside from several gameplay elements being changed, the game plays almost exactly like the original.
Players control a jet that is constantly stationed at the bottom of the screen and can only move left and right as an unending river scrolls downwards. Players must avoid or destroy various enemy craft and bridges and avoid colliding with any land mass, enemy vehicle or bridge or they will lose a jet; lose all jets and the game will end.
Players’ jets are also constantly draining fuel, although they can be replenished by docking with onscreen fuel depots. Running out of fuel will also cost the player a reserve jet.
Bridges are also encountered during a game, which, upon being destroyed, the player will start off at the last bridge they destroyed prior to losing a jet.
As the game goes on, the difficulty level is raised by having less space to maneuver in river banks and with less fuel depots appearing onscreen.
There is also a variation for two players alternating turns; once one player loses a jet, the next player gets a turn.
River Raid Invencible plays exactly the same as River Raid, although, like the title says, the player is invincible, as they can never lose a jet: they can pass through all obstacles and enemies safely. Fuel never runs out and no sound is made when the jet passes over a Fuel Depot.
- Select game–Game Select switch
- Start game–Game Reset switch
- Fire straight missiles–Difficulty switch (A position)
- Steer missiles–Difficulty switch (B position)
- Move jet–left/right
- Speed up–up on joystick
- Slow down–down on joystick
- Resume game with reserve jet–joystick or button
- Battleship–30 points
- Helicopter–60 points
- Fuel Depot–80 points
- Jet–100 points
- Bridge–500 points
- Extra jet awarded–every 10,000 points
- The original game came with two labels, one being the original and the other one being blue. This version is a ROM file to be played on Atari 2600 multicarts or emulators only.
- Players can shoot the houses that appear on land masses, which was not possible with River Raid. Due to the author's post on the Atari Age forums, obviously he was surprised at this, as it was not intended.
- Although the two player game can be chosen and started, it is unknown how player two could get a chance to play, due to there being no way to die, which would then allow player two to start their game from there.
- The "Invencible" in River Raid Invencible is a misspelling of "invincible".
- Atari Age forums post by the author.